Sunday, May 18, 2008

Reflecting from Barb

It is Sunday evening in Taipei Airport and we are waiting for a 7 hour layover to end before the flight home to Vancouver. Some of us are just so eager to be on that flight home. And then there is me - I wandered aimlessly for a couple of hours, not interested in shops or people watching, but a little sad that this chapter is ending and wondering how the next one will begin. This past week I've met 9 people that I really didn't know very much about before this trip, but know without a doublt that God brought us all together in a way no one could have imagined. Yes, there were difficult days but we knew that God was with us giving us the strength necessary for each moment of each day. And that was only possible because David and the home team were praying for us non-stop. I could feel that every day but it was even more evident on Tuesday when Jeff and Kelvin weren't well. I spent my day on the sixth floor going between 2 rooms. As the day progressed I knew that Kelvin was out of the woods, but not Jeff. He really started getting alot worse as the team was coming back from Rahab's House and I just wanted Grant to come through that door so that Jeff could get better care along with an IV. Jeff went through so much. His inner strength was much more than any 18 year old I've ever had as a patient!
And then all of a sudden Friday came ..... the guys had worked so hard to get us all to this point - the scraping was done, painting got finished, inside and out. Kit put her last coat of paint on the door and on the cross, the loovered windows were all washed - at least the dirt was off them even though they didn't shine like when Windex is used. The kids kept calling for Richard for one last soccer game or being swung around as though they were on a ride at the PNE, only this was much more fun.
Sunshine came with her mom and little sister for one last cleaning of the wound on her forehead; it was looking better; mom was doing a good job - you could really tell how much she loved and cared for her little girls. Fortunately one of the fellows from Agape was helping us and he was able totranslate for me while I explained what to do with a tube of polysporing that we gave her from our first aid kit. It was difficult saying good-bye, yet on the other hand I knew that she would feel safe coming back to Rahab's House for all the activities that will be happening there.
I left Rahab's House on Friday afternoon, confident that God's love, grace, and compassion was now there and it will continue to be there because of people like Clay, Helen, Christa and the others. And some of the girls that were rescued from that terrible place are now going back and that is happening because of a miracle - they have Jesus in their hearts and lives. Only Jesus can change that dark terrible place. One of the highlights of my time in Cambodia was Thursday when Toph took me on a "walk about" around this little village. There are no words to describe how my heart felt, seeing such poverty, such darkness and deprivation.So, here I am reflecting on 2 weeks (I'd be here all night if I filled in all the spaces), wondering what it all means for me and for each team member. I can only think of the vers "commit your paths to the Lord ...."
Before I close, I would like to thank Kit for all of her patience, wisdom and love, taking me on as a roommate! God truly had His hand in bringing us together. And I would also like to thank all of the guys for all of their hard work and commitment, for their compassion, and their love for the Lord, and for the times of prayer and sharing - I will cherish those times forever.
It is now 10:30 pm so will close.
Many many thank yous for all of your love, caring and prayers that have followed each of us on this incredible journey.
BlessingsBarb

No comments: