Thursday, April 24, 2008

Time to get serious - by Paul


This is my first unscheduled evening since a week ago. Five nights at Fairview… youth group on Friday, Benefit Concert on Saturday, coin count and Evening Praise on Sunday, Field & Home Team meeting on Monday and Session on Tuesday, followed by swimming last night while Kelvin was doing his Bronze Cross swimming course… Ooouff, I’m wiped.

So tonight I plan to start focusing on my trip preparations. To date my preparation consisted of attending Field Team meetings, organizing hotel accommodations, nailing down emergency evacuation plans and contact numbers, securing a number of laptops and, as you can see in the picture, throwing thing that I will need (and hope not to forget) into a cardboard box in our bedroom.

Oh yeah, I also did a lot of reading, starting off with Reaksa Himms’ book on forgiveness entitled "After the Heavy Rain", followed by “Terrify no more” by Gary Haugen, “The story we find ourselves in: Further adventures of a new kind of Christian” and “The Last Word and the Word after That: A tale of Doubt, Faith and a new kind of Christianity” by Brian McLaren, "Long way gone: Memoirs of a boy soldier" by Ishmael Beah, “Auschwitz 1940-1945”, and am now laughing my way through “The Year Of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest To Follow The Bible As Literally As Possible” by AJ Jacobs.

I completed what I hope will be my next to final shopping spree tonight, buying a hat, some missing work tools and extra package of earplugs (in case my hotel room mate Kelvin snores louder than I do). Tomorrow night I will try to fit everything into one suitcase and a carry on… and by the end of the weekend, should have completed my final shopping, have packed and will be ready to go… Dream On Paul…

I’m not too sure how ready I really am, but I am extremely thankful to God for providing this unique opportunity to serve him. I am also very grateful for the generous outpouring of love and support from my extended family, church family, friends and co-workers.

Please keep praying for the whole team, and for the children in Svay Pak.

God Bless,
Paul

No comments: