Thursday, May 15, 2008

Almost done...(Kit and Barb)

Well....it has been an interesting few days. We will let Jeff tell you of his experience, and knowing Jeff, he will probably play it down and make it humourous, but believe me, Jeff is one courageous guy. And the next time you or someone you love has to make an emergency trip to hospital via ambulance - with prepared paramedics and sirens and traffic moving over to give the ambulance priority, think of Jeff heading out to a hospital across this huge insane city in pouring pouring pouring rain in a tuktuk - essentially a horse and (covered) buggy, with a moped replacing the horse.

So this blog is from Barb and me. Barb and Toph have headed to the museum, and she has a ton of stuff to do tonight as she arranges our medication kit to donate to Rahab's House.

Little Miss Sunshine, the little girl with the facial injury who broke/warmed Barb's heart, has returned every day with her young mom (and siblings) to show Barb her injury. (We think she fell off a moped). We figure the mom is treating the injury with cayenne or something, but every day Barb cleans off all this stuff and treats it with Polysporin (we should have bought shares in the stuff). It's Barb they want to see - no one else will do.

Barb and I have both stayed pretty healthy, but we have both been extremely careful with what we eat. And I mean 'extremely' - we have happily subsisted on French bread and tea for breakfast, noodles with vegies for lunch, and rice with vegies for nearly every dinner. Barb has eaten some chicken. Basically we have not eaten meat, dairy or salad since we arrived. But for a couple of old girls, we have a lot of energy, so this diet is not killing us. I am being bitten to death by flying critters - I never see them, but I sure see the results of their visits on my arms and legs.

Today I painted walls (both roller and brush), spray-painted the metal grid security gate, hammered a few nails, swept stuff (one could sweep forever here), played a zillion games of the clapping game with my little sharks, but now I have them playing it with each other, and counting aloud in English as they do so. We do have a lot of fun. I am amazed at how much I can communicate with them when I know about three words of their language. Barb scraped and swept and painted, and performed an amzing feat with those stairs - got them looking decent again. Now Marty is staining the staircase (he will do the steps themselves after we have completely finished The Yellow Room tomorrow. What he has done looks gorgeous!

These guys are amazing. They work incredibly hard, but keep their good humour, and get up and do it again the next day. We had no idea how hard the work would be, but 'the guys' rose to the task. . And they are all such decent men of God: devout, caring, faithful. They speak of their families with love and respect. Barb and I are so proud to be a part of this team.

But the days are short. We get up at some unspeakable hour (0530 actually), work hard, and we are all exhausted shortly after dinner.

As I sit here , in the lobby, I think the rest of the guys are upstairs in their rooms blogging. It is yet another rainstorm. I remember them from Africa, and I quite like them. The rain is warm and it plummets down with huge raindrops. And suddeny - after everything in sight is completely drenched - it's over. Gone.

This is the first time I have had the opportunity to blog in the afternoon, the first time therefore, that I have hd the energy to actually write anything. Most nights my face is falling on the keyboard, and sometimes I have actually fallen asleep here as I type. (I hope the same thing does not happen to you as you read it). I would love to continue, but I am five minutes away from our evening 'check-in' and I need to get upstairs.
Thanks for your prayers and your emails. They have brought me peace and pleasure. They have really meant so much, please know that. I know Barb would say the same.

Have to go, but know this comes with love.
Kit and Barb

No comments: