Friday, May 16, 2008

It's Just the Beginning

Today was our last day at Rahab's House. We finished the work we came to do. The old, dark, evil, horrendeous building is gone and has been replaced with a big bright yellow, spacious building, where God's light is set to shine on the people of Svay Pak. Indeed it has already started.

It was very hard to leave those kids, not knowing what sort of future lay in store for them. However, I can take some comfort in the fact that we have made an impression on them and they can associate RH as a safe welcoming place, which will make it easier for Ratna, and the girls from ARC when they come to do the ministry and healthcare sessions.

Ratna came by today and we presented him with the banner. He is a friendly young man with a passion for God - and was already interacting with the kids before he left. The new Rahab's House is in good hands.

I am going to be sorry to leave this place tomorrow, a country of contrasts, a country that is still dealing with the devastation and horrors of a civil war. A country where the seeds of God's kingdom is breaking through in places like ARC and Place of Rescue and now Rahab's House. A country that 30 years ago was in the Stone Age and is now trying to deal with 21st century issues, while missing a whole generation of people my age that were wiped out. A country where evil still has a foothold, but is in God's hands.

I don't know how this experience will change me once I get home. I will be processing this for a while. I do know that God brought this team of ordinary but amazing people together for a reason. I knew from the moment that this trip was announced that I had to be here. Time will tell what the results will be.

No comments: