Monday, May 12, 2008

Top Banana

Marty's Daily Diary #9

We're back. 7am this morning we were leaving the hotel on our way back to Svay Pak to begin week 2. Things have not changed over the weekend. No smiles, more glares, more garbage, lots more garbage, did I say lots more garbage? One thing had changed. The walls, which last Monday stood in Rahab's House, made their way out to the street during last week and slowly but surely the piles have completely disappeared and are now scattered throughout the village, as they are being used as pavings in front of shack after shack after shack.

My day was spent upstairs in the "once upon a time" pink room of evil, which is now emerging (that is not a reference to any church movement in the States) into a room which I would be quite happy to live in - almost!

For some strange reason I became very aware today of the strangeness (1st understatement of the week) of this village. For the second Monday running a white van arrives in the morning with 10 white folk in it and they all pile into a house that has been derelict since a night in 2003 and nobody comes to see what they are doing. Literally nobody. Yes we get the same few kids and grandpa shows up to mumble something about empty bottles, (I believe Kit is getting very good at interpreting) but no groups form to peer in, in order to see what is going on. Instead, when a few of us go out for a short stroll we get leered at as if we are "bad" people. I thought we were the good guys? We all worked so hard today and then left and, as expected, no paparazi appeared to take our photos as we left. I am not very fond of this place. And that is my 2nd understatement.

OK - I'm maybe sounding a bit grouchy right now and it's nothing to do with Man U winning - again. I think I'm grouchy at my self that I am finding it really hard to like this place, these people and what is going on, probably every night there. (The way these folk are 'interacting' with us makes it very clear that they see us as a threat to ...) I don't love these people. But surely I should? I am a Christian after all and a "minister wanna be" according to our fearless construction leader: Kelvin. So what can I do about these feelings?

As all good Irishmen should do, I went out for dinner with the team and ate some potatoes. Great stuff. Now I am thinking more clearly, I think.

In our relfection time Kit was asking us what we thought of Svay Pak, and then she asked what we thought God thought of SP. I know God loves the people but the key thing is He doesn't love the evil that is so prevalent there. But in His grace, rather than judging them, God has poured out His mercy and grace and given the village Rahab's House. I am holding on to the belief that this is God's will and that through it God will redeem this place and more importantly the people that live there.

So tomorrow as I go to SP and walk donw the street I think I will be singing one of my favourite songs. I was reminded of it tonight during dinner when Grant pointed to the restaurant across the street. It was called "Top Banana" and as the sign shows it includes a wonderful phrase at the bottom. "You'll never walk alone."

God wants to walk with everyone. Even the folks of SP. No matter who, no matter where, God wants to walk with them but He wants to deal with the crud in their lives aswell. So the question is "are we willing to walk with Him?"

Marty

P.S. - With regards the superintendent: Mr Van Eyk took some liberty at the end of last week in his blog, describing his first impressions of the rest of the team, when he met us at the church. It is my turn to repay the compliment. Kelvin gave me the impression that he knew a lot about construction. Well, he DOES. And more. Kelvin has been a wonderful addition to this team. His humour, humility, insight and openness has been a joy. In a short time he has become an honourary member of Fairview. I think our team will miss not seeing him regularly after next Sunday. Well ... maybe a little bit!

No comments: