Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Paint-Soccer-Paint-Soccer-Paint-Paint-Paint

We left for Rahab's House this morning, two players down. The Wilson boys were AWOL.
There are only three days left to finish what we started, so we were a little anxious. As we disembarked the van, little Ng was there as usual. He gave me a big hug and helped us in with our bags.
The only job that was required of us today was to paint, paint, paint. Lots of painting to do.
After our opening prayer we started in to our jobs (which was to paint).
I gave a soccerball to NG while finishing my coffee and kicked a few with him, then started in on the painting.
Don't get me wrong - I love to paint - but I found myself drawn outside after about1/2 hr, to kick the ball around again. This something you don't see at all in Svay Pak, is kids playing games on the street. You do see them hanging out on the street, around the storefronts, some riding their bikes down the muddy path.
One reason may be the adults. The soccer ball yesterday disappeared into the home of the woman next door to RH. I am assuming she took the ball because she didn't want the kids playing in front of her house. She would not give the ball back - even to me. She just kept shouting "No! No! No!"
This is a very strange place. Most of the kids seem to be afraid of the adults.

Today, I'm not sure what happened to the ball. After about 7 or 8 of us were kicking the ball back and forth, I went back to do more painting. Next time I went out the ball had disappeared again and this time no one would say where it went. Not sure if one of the kids is hoarding the ball as his own, or if one of the adults took it again. But no one would say.

Again this is a very strange place.

So I went back to my painting.

No comments: