Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Just Another Day in Svay Pak - NOT

I have seen poverty stricken places before - but nothing like this place. Most people will show you some sort of kindness where it be a smile or a 'Hello' - but in Svay Pak there is nothing like that at all. When our big white van with 10 white people drive through, it hardly causes a ripple. They know we are there, but the suspicion and animosity and indifference is obvious. Some of the stares are downright hostile as we drive by on the little dirt track off the main road into the village.



And yet, with only 3 days to go, I am starting to feel that I am really going to miss this place when we do leave. I couldn't wait to get back to RH after our weekend break.

It's because of the kids. They are like everybody else in the village - out for what they can get. They are in survival mode - just trying to survive in a place that uses children for their own evil purposes. They are just a product to the adults that abuse, hit , scream, or ignore them.

One of the things that they are 'out' to get - is a little love. They aren't quite as jaded as the adults yet. So I see a bit of hope. So I show them kindness. I show them some patience. I give them some attention and play with them. They call me 'Tom' because they can't say Rick (it comes out Lick) - so since tom means 'big' in Khymer - it fits.



Today was a breakthrough of sorts. As we got out of the van this morning, a boy who has been coming every day was waiting for us. He jumped up into my arms and gave me a big hug. I was a little overwhelmed and embarassed, but touched. Ng followed us into the building and as we were getting our instructions for the day, he reached up and took hold of Tim's and my hands. But the most suprising thing was during our prayer before we start, Ng joined the prayer circle and stood qietly holding Kit's hand.

I really believe that RH is going to be the catalyst for change in Svay Pak - and the children are where it will start. I see hope in their eyes and a future for their lives.



We said good bye to Clayton tonight who was our representative from ARC. He is leaving tomorrow for the US to visit home and do a fund-raising tour. Clay is an amazing young man of God! He is so knowlegeable and obviously loves Cambodia. We are going to miss him - he was a big help and really mucked in with the rest of us to get the job done - as well as being a great guy to talk to. Hopefully we can get Clay up to Vancouver sometime soon.


No comments: