Monday, May 12, 2008

You are My Sunshine

Every day has been so full with new experiences and new things to see, take in and absorb. This past weekend was no exception. Both Saturday and Sunday were packed full and you've heard about so much of it from the rest of the team - going to ARC, the market, Church on Sunday and Rescue - I'm not going to say much more.
But I do want to tell you about this morning - we were all really wanting to get back to Rahab's House, to see the kids and start working again. I was cleaning the floor in the last "pink room" - the one being kept basically as is. But the foor - it was beyond any dirty floors I've ever cleaned. I was on my knees with a scraper, trying to take all the filth and whatever off the tiles, when Tim came along and said that "the little girl was back". (On Friday a mom came by RH to see what we were doing and I couldn't believe the the gash on one child's forehead and the muk that had been plastered on it. To make a long storey a little shorter, the mom let me "clean" it and then just put some polysporin on it). I walked towards the front of the bulding and could see her looking for me. As I came within about 10 feet of her, I opened my arms and she just came flying at me with this great huge grin and landed in my arms - just the same way Jessica and Colin do when I'm taking Joyce's place as Greeter. It was totally awesome - she had this great big beautiful smile. Her forehead looked 100% from what it was on Friday. I like to think it was the polysporin but know that it was God's healing hand. Nothing is clean where we are. Before she left, my little Sunshine came running back and gave me another wonderful hug. As I went back to my floor scraping that beautiful little Sunshine stayed in my heart reminding me of why were are here, working the way we are - it's for all these little girls.
The guys have worked so hard today, scraping and cleaning and scraping some more. Kelvin and Martin put a second coat of yellow paint on the upstairs room and did the trim in white. It is the most beautiful paint job I've ever seen - covering that terrible horrific pink.
It's getting late and I think Richard would like his computer back! Hopefully I will be able to send at least one more blog before the end of the week. But these others are so eloquent in this, I might not have to!
Lots of love and hugs from me!
Barb

PS About our Superintendent of the workforce - We've almost made a Presbyterian out of him.
And we're all very grateful that God directed him to be a part of this Team. Many thank yous, Kelvin for all that you are and do for each of us every day!

1 comment:

Kelvin said...

Hi Barb, my wife Kim wanted to let you know that Reformed is basically Presbyterian with a Dutch background. She wanted to tell you that Pastors Albert and Tom will make the Reformed Handbook required reading for you when you get back (and yes, there is such a thing – we gave it to the profession of faith youth on Sunday- it’s actually quite good – a tongue in cheek look at the Reformed tradition, quite a mixture of humour and fact.). She also wanted to say thank you to you(and all the team) for all the care and love you all give him. It’s obvious from the blogs that you are all a tight group and that the fact that Kelvin is not from your church doesn’t make one whit of difference. Kim