Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Run the race

Marty's Daily Diary #10

I woke on Tuesday morning feeling really energised and ready to go to Svay Pak. As usual the team gathered made their way to Grant and Jeff’s room, for morning devotions, but discovered a note telling us to go to Kit and Barb’s room. I presumed Jeff was sick since he was feeling unwell the night before. So down to the 2nd floor we went to discover that Kelvin was not feeling to hot either. (Grant looked exhausted from being up all night looking after Jeff.) Both J&K remained in the hotel and Barb stayed to look after them. I felt fine but every time I go to the bathroom, every time I eat something, I am wondering “is it me next?” Am I the next one to drop with a GI problem? Is the work we are doing in Svay Pak so profound that the devil is trying everything to disrupt this work and frustrate us? If anybody else gets sick will we be able to finish what we have started? Come on Marty – where is your faith? God has brought us this far, so just keep plodding along in that race. Kit reminded us a few days ago of Hebrews 11. (For those of you at Fairview etc who know her, I know this will come as a shock that Kit has referred to Hebrews 11 on this trip) Our task in this project, indeed in life, is to keep our focus on Jesus and run the race. Just keep going. So, we did just that. Off to Svay Pak we went. A tonne of paint later, we returned back to the hotel. Rahab’s House is transforming. The yeast is working. Richard has already spoken of the little boy who came and stood with us in our prayer circle. The Vietnamese pastor who is working in Svay Pak and maybe will be based out of Rahab’s House looked so excited by the place yesterday when he dropped by. The building it self, even though we have a ways to go before Friday, already has so much life and warmth in it, rather than the decay and stench of death from last Monday. Yes Lord. No matter what, You have claimed this place for yourself.

Last night was our last night with Clay. I’ve spoken of the angels I have met on this trip. Well, guess what? Clay is another one. I really don’t know where to begin to describe this chap. Clay has such a love for Jesus, a wisdom and maturity of Cambodia, a compassion for justice and righteousness, a tenderness for children, that it will not come as a surprise that a few of us have joked with him (even though we are not really joking) that we have a few people we would like him to meet in Vancouver. He is a great man of God and has inspired me and the whole team over these past two weeks. I wish him every God’s blessing as he continues his work in Rahab’s House and beyond in Cambodia. God bless you Clay, and may you continue to be an incredible blessing to others.

No comments: