Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fun and Games - and then Reality Hits Hard!

Today was our second to last day at Rahab's House. It was very quiet when we arrived. No kids, no Yoda to greet us, no Vietnamese coffee waiting for us, and the big iron gate was locked.
It was the day after the king's birthday celebration and the last day of a 3-day holiday - so everyone was probably sleeping in. I don't want to think about why the kids were sleeping in while there were a lot of adults up and about their business.
Toph says he doesn't want to think that everyone in this village is involved in the sex trade - however I am not so optimistic. There is no sign of any other kind of commerce in this place - except for one recycling home - so I can't see how they are not involved - even if it by complacency alone - they are still involved.
I have seen only two parents who seem to care about their kids. One is the mother of Barb's Little Miss Sunshine, and the other is a father who has shown up with his infant son in his arms. (this is very rare in Cambodia - that a father would take care of his children). The only other interaction that I have seen is grown ups yelling at or dragging away or smacking the kids.

We get started working. Kelvin and I are scraping the outside today. We are on the upstairs balcony - and Tim and the two Cambodians from ARC are scraping and painting the facade above with a dodgy extension ladder and a harness. It is amazing watching these guys work, they take risks that would not be allowed in Canada.
It is very hot work on that balcony which gives Kelvin and I plenty of water breaks.

Gradually the kids start to come around - and I spend my breaks playing with them instead of resting. My little buddy Ng is there and when I pull out my camera, he wants to have a go at taking some pictures. All the kids are fascinated at the images that they see in the camera, and he has fun taking pictues of the other kids - and me.
In all there must have been about 25 - 30 different kids there. We played a little soccer, some were trying to run me down with there bikes (but would swerve away at the last minute). Lots of hand clapping, counting, rough-housing, swinging off my arms. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves. I know in the back of my mind that they are 'sharks' and are always on the look-out for some advantage. But I would like to think that they are really having fun and thats they will remember this group of 10 people who played with them and did not ask for anything except for a smile and a laugh.

Unlike the white guy at the end of the day who showed up on his moto, sat and had a drink two doors down from RH - and then drove off on his moto into the heart of the village. He appeared to have no shame nor did he try to disquise what he was there for. Even with 9 other white people, who obviously did not belong there watching his every move, taking pictures. He was smiling and even said "Hello" as he drove past on his way into the village. My heart sunk at the realization of what was about to happen. I can only pray that it is not one of the beautiful smiling kids that I see each day here.
Although, I know that in this village, everyone is for sale.

No comments: