Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Barb's blog

It is hard to believe that we've been in Phnom Penh for 3 working days. Each day has been filled with a million different emotions running all at once. But what has stood out the most to me in all of this poverty,is that God is definitely here with us - caring for us, giving us the strength to meet each task. I'm not even sure where to begin and I"m supposed to keep it short!1. Monday - we drove down Highway 5 9not quite like our highways in Canad). It's more like being on an exciting ride at an amusement park and there is just so much to see that you don't know where to look next. We arrived at our destination and there was the building in reality that we had seen in photos. We had about 15 minutes to wander through the various corners and then we all gathered together with Christa, Helen and Clay. We all sat down and just before Clay spoke I was sure that David Horn was standing beside, so the point that I turned to say "hi David" but of course he wasn't there. And then I remembered our last conversaton at the airport = David was so excited thaat at the time we would be having our small service at Rahab's House, Fairview would be having their Sunday evening service and prayer time for us. I just really felt the Home Team there with us at that moment - The Lord had brought us all together for that very special time. The following morning an email came form David and he told us the time that they were all praying for us - the exact same time that I felt David's presence. How beautiful is that! Thank you Jesus and thank you David!2. Tuesday - The fellas made amazing progress on Monday, knocking down walls and halling away debrie. I've never seen such team work from 8 guys who have never worked together and certainly not in the situation that we were working in. Martin wanted to take a video of us all taking a turn at wacking the wall, to send to you all. When my turn came, I walked up to the spot to swing the sledge hammer. Written on the wall were the words "I love you". I just wacked away until that part of the wall tumbled down. It was a very humbling moment. I could hear God's voice telling us how much he loves us and couldn't help but parallel God's wonderful, unconditional love compared to the false conditional love these little ones had to endure.3. In between scraping walls and sweeping floors, I've had the wonderful privilege of helping the guys by bandaging blistered fingers and toes, and pouring water over heads that have become extremely hot (a new meaning for "hot head"). I would happily stand and do that all day as these guys have just been relentless in getting all this heavy work done.4. There have been many children hanging around watching every move we make and wanting our empty water bottles and pop cans, which we give them. But there has been one little girl that has totally entered my heart and thoughts - she has the saddest face and most hauntingly sorrowful eyes. The other kids laugh and play, but she just stands and watches and when you go near her, she moves away. We prayed for her last night that she would see us as friendly people and not a threat. This morning she smiled and actually returned a wave!There is so much in my heart that I can't express on a blog or piece of paper. But one thing is sure, God is now at Rahab's House. We feel his light and love shining through all that was so dark.
Many thankyous Fairview for this incredible opportunity.

No comments: