Saturday, May 10, 2008

...questions... and The Answer...(Kit)

Although most of my professional life has been working with adults, I do have a few various experiences of working with young women; living with about 400 other student nurses, working with Nurses Christian Fellowship, or as a Camp Nurse, leading girls groups, etc....and when we arrived at New Song, it seemed so familiar. A group of young girls looking safe, happy, interested, welcoming, healthy, in pleasant and safe surroundings. And then I remember their shared legacy - every one of these girls rescued from the talons of pimps and pedophile vultures. I (sort of) understand all this when I read about it, or hear about it, but when I sit down and talk to these girls, and we exchange names, and they ask about my own adult daughters, and they laugh shyly at my mangled attempt at their language........I am beyond comprehending what they have endured. And then I am reminded that these precious girls (and you know I do not often use words like 'precious' ) are just a small fraction - a speck, one lost lamb - in the whole foul continuum of human trafficking and child prostitution.

New Song is New Hope. New Song breathed peace, health, redemption. A future. And although I loved every moment of the visit, and it seemed to me to be a bit of heaven itself, a still small voice inside me warned me not to be too happy; Rahab's House, New Song and similar ventures are only the 'sparks' that Kel talks about when what we need is a roaring refining fire. We've met wonderful , young, educated, dynamic Christians here, ready to do the work, but so many projects are underfunded. There are no 'poster children' for childhood prostitution (nor should there be - why should this be their identity?) but we in the West need to hear their cries nonetheless.

There are expensive education programs, there are signs on buses and tourist brochures re protecting the children. Is education the answer? I believe in education. But even more I believe in the Way, the Truth and the Life.

No comments: