Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Just another day of opportunity

Marty's Daily Diary #4

A day of sickness in the team, dehydration, heat exhaustion, copious amounts of sweat, an enormous amount of drunk water: basically another good day at the office. We have entered a phase in the work were everything seems to be "slowing down." Are we? Health wise, physically, mentally or perhaps emotionally? The work seems to be, becasue we are not making such dramatic changes to the place as we did on the first 2 days. But yesterday I felt that I wasn't being the ambassador that I could be at Rahab's House. Yes, I was working and accomplishing the physical stuff but what about the people? Well, this morning Grant prayed for us when we arrived at RH and he mentioned the word "opportunity." I have no idea what he actually prayed, I just heard that one word. It caused me to remember the movie "Evan Almighty." In it, God (Morgan Freeman) appears to Evan's wife and says (paraphrased) "if someone prays for courage, do you think God will just give you courage or will He provide you with OPPORTUNITIES to be courageous?" Well? What do you think Marty? Today was full of opportunities. The kids came on mass to the front of RH and they wanted to sing and shout and "yahoo!!!!!" I think, day by day, each of us is getting more and more opportunities to interact with the kids and with the people in Sway Pak. Now, the REAL work is starting. "God, help me to use these opportunities to show you love, and mercy, and grace, and faithfulness, and hope with all these folks, especially these little kids." That is my prayer tonight. Please pray for me and the team to use such God-given opportunities.

Marty

No comments: