Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Day # 3 - Richard

Today did not start off very promising. Kelvin and Paul both stayed in the hotel today as they were not well.
How much would we be able to do with 2 people down - one of them the only guy with experience in what we are doing?

When we arrived Clayton was there waiting with coffee for us! What a GREAT guy!

We started ripping out the kitchen. It was much harder than we anticipated, and after 1/2 hour, my shirt and pants were soaking wet and the sweat was dripping down my face. It felt really like I was in a sauna where the temperature had been turned up to the max.

I felt good though good though to be doing the physical act of destroying everything about the 'old Rahab's House'. With each stike of the sledgehammer, I felt that I was striking a blow for those girls against their oppressors.

My first uncomfortable moment came today as I was wheeling more of the rubble out to the dump. A girl who could not have been more than 5 years old was sitting on her bike at the entrance, and as I went past, she blew me a kiss. In any other context, this would have been weird, that a stranger would do that. But in this situation, in this place, I was disgusted and embarrassed - and completely thrown off. How do I react to something like that. Anything that I could say to her would not have any lasting effect after I had gone - even if she could understand English.
I also wonder about all the young boys that are hanging around. What are they being groomed for? Are they pimps in training? Or is there a market for them in this place too?
I can only hope and pray that God has a plan for the New Rahab's House to rescue these children from a life of abuse and violence that is rampant in this place.

No comments: