Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 2 Cambodia - Tim

Yesterday, flying over the absolutely beautiful beachfront coast of Vietnam (at Da Nang I believe) on the way to Phnom Penh was, for me, strangely gripping, very emotional. I think because as a kid of 12 in 1968 in Libya I remember listening to US Armed Forces radio every day, all summer (the only English language broadcast available locally), relentlessly announcing American casualties - I did not know those memories had made such a profoundly sad impression on me. Then, touring the Tuol Sleng torture prison yesterday afternoon brought back all those news stories of genocide in far- off Cambodia. I was o.k. until I saw the pictures of the 2 and 3 year olds killed there. There is still blood from victims on the stairways (I checked with Barb, a nurse) - and I had walked on it. I can not honestly say I believe God could have been in that place during the time of the Khmer Rouge. Today, Cambodia is still eating its (and its neighbours' eg. Vietnam's) young, only this time through sex trafficking. We smashed down four or five rooms in about 6 hours - minibrothels- a frenzy of destruction, until we were all exhausted. We have more to go, but it's going well. Little girls, perhaps only 2 or 3 years old, milling around us all afternoon and Clayton says that if they're cute, they're on the market. This afternoon, we saw a western pedophile, his face and bearing arrogant and impassive, ride on his moto right below us being led by two Svay Pak pimps. Can God actually love this guy?

No comments: