Thursday, May 8, 2008

It is for such as these... (by Grant)

Can you imagine meeting some young teen girls who had been rescued from slavery in the child sex-trade and who are working through the emotional and physical and spiritual trauma and have the strength of character to go back to the village in which they were abused to help the children there?

I can do more than imagine that now because I met them. It almost doesn’t matter what we did today – we scraped walls, painted walls and patched walls and floors with mortar - because all that work pales in significance to that 5 or 6 minute meeting when we were leaving Rahab’s House and the girls and a couple of staff members arrived to do their twice weekly ministry to the kids of Svay Pak.

How do you feel reading this? I’m not sure how I feel. It is a wild mix of emotions. In meeting these girls my soul ached because of the abuse they endured but my soul also soared in the knowledge that they were rescued and are free and are healing. Utter distress mixed with profound joy.

I am also incredibly struck by the power of hope – these girls expressed such joy and hope. Such hope.

I will need some time to think and pray all of this through but I won’t have too much time because tomorrow we meet the rest of the girls at ARC (NewSong).

I thank you Lord for these girls; for your rescue of them and for their hope in you.

Grant

No comments: