Thursday, May 8, 2008

Heroes - Richard

Today was a day that put everything into perspective. No matter how big our problems seem to us - no matter how tired or sore my muscles are - no matter how much work we did or still have to do - no matter what the temperature is - no matter how dirty and grungy I am. Today was what it was all about.

We met some of the girls from New Song today - just briefly. Young girls who come back to the place where they were held prisoner, tortured and abused, to help minister to other children in the same village - possibly in the same situation.

What a humbling experience!

Words cannot describe my feelings or the myriad of emotions that were rushing through me when I stood before these normal-looking but courageous girls. They are the real heroes. All else pales in comparison.
We introduced ourselves and then left immediately so as not to stress them out too much.
As I left the building, I noticed one little girl, standing just outside the door - obviously too nervous to come in and meet us.

The silence on the bus as we pulled away spoke volumes

No comments: